• RSS

6/15/2009

Dallas Low-Light Wedding Photography FAQ



"Will my pictures turn out if the lighting is low at my wedding reception or ceremony?"

I hear this question quite often from brides. The answer really depends on the rules of the game. Will the wedding officiant let me use a flash? If the answer is no, this can make things quite difficult. The flash is a critical tool for any photographer, especially in low light situations. If the photographer is allowed use a flash your pictures should be fine.
"But my ceremoy won’t allow flash photography – is this really a problem?"
From time to time I run into a stubborn wedding officiant who refuses to let me use a flash. This can be frustrating, especially when the lighting is poor. I always urge the importance of flash to my brides. Many times with a little pleading, they can persuade the officiant to allow the use of flash. Your photos are going to turn out the best if the photographer has the freedom to use the flash.
Large dimly lit receptions halls can be another issue entirely. With high ceilings and soft tungsten light, it can be a challenge even with a flash to achieve good results. Over the years I have developed my own photographic techniques for dealing with these situations and I think the results are amazing.
Ultimately any photographer will tell you "the more light the better", but there are ways to compensate for low-light situations. Call our Dallas Wedding Photography studio at 214-703-0360.